Monday, January 24, 2011

He who does not know how to look back at where he came from will never get to his destination- Jose Rizal

Last week I made it down to visit my grandparents at the convalescent home. They've been at this center for a couple of months now, and haven't really had the strength to visit them. I actually did some volunteer work at this center a year ago, so I know how the empty and lonely it is to be there. This should have pushed me even more to visit them, but I've never seen my grandparents like this before. I grew up with my grandfather, while my grandmother helped raised my other cousins. I never thought it was weird when I was younger, but now that I'm older, I can't how they stayed separated so long, just to raise me and my cousins.
I know my grandfather to be warrior like and a Mr. Tough guy. He was also a great carpenter and always thought of him like Macguyver. LOL he would take some wire fencing and create some crab traps!
He kept me in check while growing up, and we worked together a lot at my fathers apartments. So to see someone who I thought was invincible, now getting older and at a center, tears me up. But thanks to my wife's support, we made a visit and brought them some fresh lumpia and mamon (sponge cake). We brought the ipad as well and showed them our pictures from our wedding, talked a little bit, laughed, then we left. I plan to visit them more often and I'm even trying to get my students out there to help brighten up the center.

IMG_0690.jpg

IMG_0691.jpg

IMG_0694.jpg

IMG_0695.jpg

IMG_0693.jpg

No comments:

Post a Comment